View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #99
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I have to disagree there, Dawnatello. I actually like the three Raimi movies better than I did the first A S-M movie. I didn't even bother with the new one, as I was so disappointed with the first installment. The other three FELT more like a Spidey movie should- angst, conflict between his two "lives", and a definite "everyman" and "comic book" feel. Octavius especially, and Sandman as well, were both wonderfully done. I liked Venom, in spite of the slightly jarring lack of his trademark "we" instead of "I" in his speech. Everything else about those movies was great- and Toby was much more convincing as Peter than Garfield was, IMHO. Whoever thought a Cullen should play Peter (even if it wasn't Edward) was nuts. He's a pretty (albeit nerdy) face, and not much else. I'd call him geek-chic.

To me, the only thing the AS-M movie has done right was Garfield's banter as Spidey, and the incorporation of Peter's parents' past. Lizard was mediocre, and by using Gwen, while more true to the actual continuity, it just automatically leads into the inevitable story of her death, which left me not really caring as much about her, knowing how she will eventually end up. Add in that I liked Bryce Dallas Howard's Gwen better, and I just feel like the AS-M movies are sort of a let-down after what we got from Raimi, who is a long-time Spidey fan- and it showed in his films.
I definitely have to agree with you about the villians for the most part in the Raimi films, but I just can't get into Tobey Maguire. He's just so whiney... I think that was what largely turns me off of that Trilogy. However, I have to disagree about Garfield, I think he plays a better Spiderman, with my only real gripe being that he was a little too self-confident before becoming Spiderman. I was unaware of him being in any Twilight films since I avoid them like the plague, vampires, shouldn't glitter... but I've liked Garfield in a few other things I've seen him in and I appreciate his approach to acting.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Que sera sera and all that.

***Edit- I could really get behind a Raimi directed Amazing Spiderman film with Andrew Garfield as Spidey... or basically anyone but Tobey. Angst should not be so whiney... Tobey could never pull off emo, lol. I have a feeling that as a teenager his mother probably wanted to back hand him a lot- "Stop whining all the damn time Tobey!" The only thing I ever liked him in was Seabiscuit, but even then, the horse out-acted him.

Last edited by Dawnatello Turtle Chick; 07-15-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Dawnatello Turtle Chick is offline   Reply With Quote