View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #25
Sanjuro
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Fans of the comic book aren't that many, the sales of V.4 and tales account to that, not to mention comic books is a dying medium even the big two Marvel/DC don't sell that many comics.

And no this good news in the longevity of the franchise, theres no way Viacom is going to go down, and they didn't just buy the property to sit on it. Mirage could have easily gone bankrupt while not so much for Viacom. Also we didn't know when the series would get a new tv show or anything, now we're getting one in 2012.

I know someone like Roseangelo will say this is the death of the franchise but they have been "hating" on pretty much whatever TMNT related is not up to their personal expectations. This deal has pros and cons and it is not the death of the franchise, in fact TMNT could be bigger than its ever been in recent years.

This is also good news for potential Venus fans
I've already stated fans of the comic book aren't that many, but it is still a very popular medium with the remaining die-hard fanbase. The rest of that base are largely a casual nostalgic audience. They have marketed the series to the younger audience the last few years and it has worked/not worked in various ways, but ultimately not anything significant. Again I'm no fool. I'm in my twenties now and I understand 100% I'm not the target audience of the intended franchise now.

Like I said this will be great a few years down the road when the projects are out. However, not having any sort of freedoms at Mirage once this dead horse is beaten there will be nothing left. Laird would have been able to license out the series to other artists/writers/etc. on occasion and there would be some bread for the fans.

It also should be noted that MTV is NOT Disney. If Disney or the Warners ended up with the franchise at a reasonable price then this would be a much better story. MTV has no track record or the long term needs for a franchise like this in all likelihood. At least with the other two they have several outlets for the franchise even when there is no significant project available.

In the long run this is not good. At all. Period.
Sanjuro is offline   Reply With Quote