View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 06:55 AM   #40
Fishface
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post
Just gonna slide this in here...

Season 1: Erm, I guess if I had to pick, I’d go with The Pulverizer or Turtle Temper. Other than those two, the season’s consistently pretty good. Even those two as the weaker links are pretty good episodes.

Season 2: The Mutation Situation was NOT a good impression for this season at all. That episode had the ten or so that came after it to thank for me not going so hard on it mostly. Mazes & Mutants And Newtralized were just pretty standard mediocre episodes that were honestly just pretty boring. I REALLY didn’t like how they wrote Slash in the latter episode. I liked where they went with him, but the way they wrote him felt like “well, we have this character that was an antagonist, but now he’s not, but all his interesting traits were attributed to his antagonistic nature, so what now?” Plan 10 is probably my least favorite of the season just for having such a bland gimmick and not necessarily doing much with it outside of a few jokes here and there. Seemed Saturday Morning Cartoon-y, something this show showed in this very season it was above.

Season 3: If you see my rants on this show around, you know this is where things get messy for me. Outside of Within the Woods, In Dreams, and Race With The Demon, that entire Northampton arc was one giant waste of time to me. The episodes ranged from boring and average snores with no personality or standout moments (Buried Secrets, Eye of the Chimera), to being flat out bad (A Foot Too Big, The Croaking). And unfortunately, despite my highest hopes, Season 3 never did get back to that quality for me. Individual episodes, sure, but Battle for New York, Clash of the Mutanimals, Meet Mondo Gecko, Turtles In Time, and Attack of the Mega-Shredder did not help my overall verdict on the season, and that’s ignoring the somewhat average, bland episodes.

Slightly off topic, but while I’m talking about bad parts of Season 3, Seth Green is SUCH a frustrating choice for me. Not at all in his voice does he so much as sound remotely like Leo should ever. Alright, so, he’s battle damaged. His voice in the first episode of this season does not get better from here on out. Doesn’t clear up. It’s just this really raspy Leo that just does not fit. It’s so out of place. I get a lot of people were fine with this recast, but it never grew on me. It could just be that I really like Jason Biggs’s Leo, but Seth Green just does not capture Leo at all.

Season 4: Ohhh, boy, this space arc. This should’ve been a fun change of pace from the norms of the show. Instead, it was a bloated mess that went on for about eight episodes too long with no personality and no scope. In space. If it isn’t bland, it’s just awful, I’m talking some of the laziest episodes in the show. If your name isn’t The Outlaw Armaggon or The Arena of Carnage, and you’re an episode of season 4’s space arc, you’re on my worst list.

Now, thankfully, the rest of Season 4 was a bit of a return to form. The episodes became consistently at least Season 2 quality to me. City at War, Broken Foot, and The Power Inside Her are definitely not very good and break up the consistency a bit here, otherwise, no full episodes that really rubbed me the wrong way here. The quality of this season did a complete 180 to me at this 17-episode mark, and it’s great. Strange, but I’ll take it.

Season 5: I haven’t seen every single one of these. I have yet to see the Monster arc (and don’t plan to. just look at those premises) or the Crossover arc. However, I’m very VERY mixed on what I have seen. The Kavaxas arc sums my feeling on this season fairly well. I actually really like the first two, but Heart of Evil and End Times are just bad to me. I dislike the former so much, my signature features one of its lines, which I’d argue is the clumsiest line in the entire show. When Worlds Collide is equatable to a sugar-hyped child playing with his Ninja Turtle toys. This episode is just nonsensical from beginning to end, but unlike other nonsensical episodes in this show, this one takes itself somewhat seriously, which creates so much confusion. And finally, Osoroshi no Tabi was poorly-executed and a sizable stain on an otherwise great Usagi arc.

I think either The Croaking, The Evil of Dregg, or Earth’s Last Stand stand as my least favorite of the series.
I pretty much agree with you here on most things said here. MOST. I think you were a bit too harsh on Season 2. Although it wasn't nearly as good and as exciting as Season 1 was, it was still a good follow up and you could clearly tell the writers were having fun writing theses episodes and a lot of hype and work went into this season. I personally thought Season 2 was the best season the show ever had, besides Season 1 and it was hyped up a lot and this show was pretty much at the hype of its popularity during 2014. Although I do think that the Power Inside Her belongs on the worst list. For one hundreth episode, it was pure garbage.
Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote