View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 12:59 PM   #30
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
That's something a European like me can't grasp... someone being considered black or brown just because they have a tan even if they have no non-European ancestry?! That's messed up.

So I guess a rather tanned guy like the Czzech footballer Milan Baros would be viewed as a brown skinned guy in your area, Duckie?

In Europe not everyone looks the same. There's a variety of looks between different countries and even within them. There's stereotypes but A LOT of people don't fit that mold. I've been to many European countries and seen all sorts of people.

No one in Portugal sees you as less of a portuguese person if you're a natural ginger, just like no one in Denmark sees you as less of a Dane if you have dark brown hair.

Now, I'm not saying Europeans can't be racist or xenophobic, but I think we're more willing to look past someone's appearance if they share the same culture/language as we do.

I'm gonna give you an example. brazilians. they're also from a very diverse country with messed up colonial and slavery history. Yet, when they come to Portugal or other European countries... they're all lumped together as simply Brazilians Doesn't matter to us if they're white, mixed, mulatto, black, asian, wtv. They're just Brazilian to us. The same happens to Americans tbh. Tbh, black and Asian Americans are WAY closer to white Americans than a white European guy like me is. I don't want to sound like a dick, but the Asian Americans I've met/talked to didn't seem very exotic to me or different from White Americans. I'm willing to bet they'd even be treated as White in most of Europe.

PS: As for the topic itself... an Afghani/Swede raped someone. OK, he's a bad guy. There's that sort of people in every nationality and race.

No, I think he would be viewed mainly as white, mostly because of his facial structure, or possibly Latino, but only at a glance. Once he started talking, that would probably change, if he has an accent that is obviously European. Like I said, we have so many people that can "pass" as more than one race, that we sometimes lump people into a certain one, based on overall appearance, (mainly skin color, but hair styles/types and facial features factor in too) even if they don't actually fit into it. Accents or lack on them can factor in, but just looking at someone, regardless of how they dress, people tend to assume black/white/etc. until proven otherwise.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote