View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 06:39 PM   #9
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
In terms of actual discussion, there's really nothing to say. Jon Jafari, or Jontron, made offensive remarks and was removed from the game by Playtonic.
Literally all there is to it. And if a well-known actor said the same things Jafari said, they'd suffer professional consequences for it too. This is just how this stuff works.

I get that "Internet Personalities" think they're just nobodies or outsiders, but anyone with millions of followers is a celebrity in some sense. And most celebrities have the sense to have a PR person or something like it to help them navigate the complicated public life they've chosen.

JonTron ain't Brad Pitt, but he's not a "nobody" either. He's actively worked to become well-known and influential in his area. He's got no reason to play naive here, or play the victim -- this kind of thing comes with the territory. But like a lot of the people he plays to buy into the idea that "freedom of speech" means freedom from consequences, he seems to believe his own fame and platform should come without scrutiny. It doesn't work that way.

Maybe he'll learn from this. I kinda doubt it, but I still hope he does.