View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 12:20 AM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
I dont think its irrelevant to talk about whether or not we should give people who have serioud mental illness guns. Apparently we have the foresight not to give felons guns but apparently by your logic we should give guns to people with a history of mental illness no if, ands or buts. Also I dont think its so much as confusing as it is dumb
Comes back to a very, very slippery slope. What do we define "mental illness" as and exactly to whom do we defer judgment as to the boundaries of what said "mental illness" actually is? I mean in terms of who gets to have a gun. Where do we come down on stuff like PTSD? Like, from war? Meaning, our veterans coming home who blew away bad guys to protect our country. They don't get to have guns and exert their basic constitutional right? Utterly absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
For example, people convicted of even non-violent felonies can't legally buy or own a gun. Extreme, perhaps, but it makes sense.
That's already the case. Though you get ONE non-violent felony you can remove from your record to restore your right to bear arms, as it stands (though even that costs a lot of money). But then that's it, forever. And that sort of makes sense.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote