Thread: Depression
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #71
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Only times I've ever really felt depressed were when I broke up with my girlfriend of 4 years (this happened twice) in 2010 and 2015. Both times I felt like I wasn't good enough and just sucked at living. There would be days when I would go through the motions and not want to interact with anyone, but knowing I had to and pretending I was fine. I'd be ok then break down into tears, when alone. It was a lot worse the first time, but still terrible the second time around. Eventually I sort of found solace in friends, family, self improvement and strangely enough, anger.
I figured hey, I can't be depressed if I'm angry, and then I just sort of used that anger to fuel certain projects, work and things that I did. I don't know how healthy that is but it's worked so far.
And my current girlfriend deals with depression and a lot of it comes down to really irrational fears and self depreciating. Sometimes she just needs to vent and hear that I care about her and don't secretly plan to murder her in her sleep er whatever (Something she has told me), and it comes and goes. I wish I could do more but I understand it's something that I'll have to deal with as long as we're together, because it's something she has dealt with for at least 15 years.