View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 07:43 PM   #80
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The 1987 cartoon because it ad the perfect humor for my taste. I love puns and sarcasm. Its not depressingly dark and not campy as a whole. It had the best character set of any TMNT version to date as well. Also, remember as far as comparing the toy line to the cartoon, well, its my absolute earliest memories. I am only a few months older than the cartoon itself. I don't care much for The Shredder figure. I am a stickler for accuracy and a white-washed shirtless Shredder does not work for me. Also, the sad eyed Leonardo was always weird for me. I collected the toys because I love the 1987 cartoon. Yes, it began as a program advertising the toyline,but I prefer the cartoon.
I think my cousin found the theme song and animation of the syndicated series to be iconic and highly more effective in selling the original Playmates toyline than anything found in store flyers of the very late ‘80s and ‘90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
You guys....they didn't make figures like the troll turtles because they were "desperate to keep up with other fads" or whatever. They did it because (1) they were just toys and (2) it was a line known for its humor. It is actually awesome, not stupid, that the four turtles were redone to parody all of those fads. It wasn't a case of "oh my gosh sales are down what can we copy next" it was "haha wouldn't it be fun if we made troll turtles?"

It was huge. All this talk about failure and downfall and such...it was what it was. Nothing lasts forever and nothing can be exactly what you think it should be. It was a huge phenomenon that had the staying power through today. It was a success by anyone's measure taking home paychecks and I highly doubt any of them expected it to last forever either.
The original 1988 Playmates toyline is not in ‘the big leagues’ with the 1977 Kenner Star Wars line, 1981 Mattel Masters of the Universe, 1982 Hasbro G.I. Joe line, or 1984 Hasbro Transformers line because of the long number of humorous turtle and April variants from the ‘90s.

Perhaps, the toy designers and inventors at Playmate Toys in the 1990s should have operated as if they were toy makers in the early 1980s. That way we would be given one version of each character from the 1987 cartoon with a few necessary character variants in almost every wave after the first or second basic assortments.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-06-2019 at 08:05 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote