Thread: Writer's Corner
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 08:02 PM   #13
senpai
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Self-publishing is very much a product of your own initiative. For Blood Island and my take on Sherlock Holmes, it was simply a means to print my own books and hold them in my greedy sweaty trembling hands. The feeling of holding your own book in your hands is utterly unique... the closest thing to it is holding your newborn child in your hands. (And I've done both. Both are amazing, sort of similar, but utterly unique.)

However, if Asylum does not eventually take off in traditional publishing, I aim to go back to self-publishing and seriously up my game. See what happens. I got my first rejection letter for Asylum earlier today. I was originally hoping to release Asylum this summer, but now I'm figuring that if nobody has taken me up on the novel, to self-publish it in December or January. I'm still figuring it out... but now that I've gotten the load off my back in submitting query letters, I can resume working on "Rage", an indirect sequel. Already 100 pages in, looking forward to getting back to it...

The vast majority of people won't understand or will just think your ideas are "cute" (or "weird"). You just gotta do it anyway. I particular piece of advice I just found was "Write the book because you f*cking want to write the book." As long as that is your primary motivation, ain't nobody gonna stop you.

And I think your pig idea sounds awesome. Much more "Animal Farm" than "Babe." Just because it involves animals doesn't mean it's kiddy or undeserving.
Making the initiative is sometimes the hardest step--for me, anyway. I think that's great that you are able to print it and actually hold a copy of your own work. Is self-publishing expensive? I've never heard of someone comparing it to their baby. That's amazing. You must really love being a parent as much as you love writing!

I wish you the best of luck getting Asylum published. Keep trying. Sometimes it takes a couple tries to get someone to take it.

I like your advice! I will do just that. Thank you. I hope it turns out the way I want it to. I know it's going to require a lot of editing because I want the narrator to have a specific tone and sometimes when I write just to get my ideas out I really lose that.
senpai is offline   Reply With Quote