View Single Post
Old 12-10-2022, 08:07 PM   #4
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Owning way more CDs and vinyls would be nice, but it would end up very pricey considering the amount of artists I listen to on Spotify. And a lot of that music would be difficult to find in stores anyway. I just love the convenience of Spotify. The monthly fee for it is so cheap for the ton of music you can access. You can even just use the service for free but then you'll get ads every 2 or 3 songs and that's annoying. And you're only allowed to shuffle through playlists.

Some years ago, Spotify decided to go public because it wasn't being profitable enough. After all lots of people have an account but don't subscribe to Premium. And Premium has a cheap monthly fee.

I guess there is a risk of Spotify going under someday in the future but it's been around for a long time and some other streaming service would just replace it anyway.

I just like that I'm not at the mercy of a streamer to make something unavailable in the long-run. I still buy CD's and records from my top five or so bands and I collect vinyl from the old Chicago Industrial music label "Wax Trax!". I only pump the vinyl through it's own independent stereo, but I rip the CD's to a media-server which I either pipe FLAC or 320.48 through a series of Sonos speakers around the house or through my Oppo UDP-203 into my home theater stereo.

Everyone else in the house, however, basically uses streaming. I do know that Amazon's streaming service is also decent if you have Amazon Prime. But I got a taste for streaming over a decade ago when "Pandora" was huge. I realized that we'd be at the mercy of a streaming service as soon as Pandora stopped playing whatever it was you searched for, opting by policy to play something similar to what you searched for instead. It's a small example from a free service, but it illustrated to me that I'd rather own media that license music that they can un-license.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote