View Single Post
Old 03-26-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Is April kind of a loser?

In many versions of TMNT, April has so little going on that she can accept four mutated turtles and a rat into her life, take them into her apartment, and hang out with them constantly, apparently with no one noticing. In Mirage she tries to break free from the madness in City at War, only to realize that there's not much for her in the human world and she might as well go back to the Turtles. She then proceeds to date and then marry a violent alcoholic (I know that there is absolutely no reason to believe he is ever violent to her) who is quite the loser in his own right. Seeing as she is endlessly smarter than Casey in all incarnations, it seems that their attraction is based on some sort of bond regarding the Turtles and the fact that they can never have normal lives after meeting the Turtles.

In the Nick cartoon she is pretty open about not fitting in and being a misfit, but I don't think it's acknowledged very much in other interpretations.

In the Fred Wolf cartoon she does have quite her own life outside of the Turtles and never bonds with them as intensely as in the other versions.

I just think it's interesting that the Turtles' main links to the human world are two people who are totally incompatible with it. We do get to hear April's opinions about this sometimes, but I think that the franchise as a whole does not really focus on the feelings of its main human character and the fact that she is a total misfit. Usually I think the image that the casual fan gets of April is that she is an attractive, spunky, happy person--somehow.

I don't mean that she's a loser in a judgmental way. Just saying it needs to be called as it is.

Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote