View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 10:22 PM   #13
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
The problem is-if you are going to make a third one, and do a triliogy- then you need to hit several points; deal with the characters left hanging (Rocksteady, Bebop, shredder, Krang, and baxter stockman) present a threat bigger than the last one (super shredder, triceriton and rock soldier invasion) put something that resembles a plot in to hold it together (Northampton, the team rallying after a defeat) and bring a final conclusion to the villians (technodrome go boom, villains presumed dead), to tie everything up. In short, you have to top the technodrome from last time, and the invasion is the best way to do that.
That's the problem with doing another sequel to this particular movie. They've featured all the characters and elements from what people consistently scream is the version every TMNT media should follow which has left them with no clear way to go next.

From a commercial standpoint no other character carries anywhere near same nostalgic pull as the ones the ones they've featured in the current movie and considering that the main Fred Wolf cast has failed to draw people in is adding more going to do the business?

From a creative standpoint these writers struggle with anything remotely complicated. Juggling so many characters and concepts in Out of the Shadows was obviously difficult for them and I can't imagine what adding more would do.

I'm not sure why everyone wants Triceratons or thinks it's a possibility. They've made clear the characters they want are Fred Wolf ones (yes I'm aware they were in an episode...late in the series when people had long stopped caring). You've seen how they treat non-Fred Wolf characters?

If you want Triceratons wouldn't it be better if you had the turtles marooned off world and taking part in the gladiator arena story? Something like The Hunger Games movies with the climax is them having to win in order to get back to Earth. Simply shoving them in with Rock Soldiers not only looks conceptually weird but does them a disservice. It's including them for the sake of including them which - as we see from both PD movies never works out well.

I know you're a big fan of mixing and matching versions but I'm not sure that the Northampton farmhouse fits with PD. They are clearly of the school of thought that you can't go too long without a change of pace so I can't imagine that we'd get much character growth there. Besides concepts like the the turtles licking their wounds at the farm work when the the threat isn't so urgent. The city being taken over (literally by an alien invasion force) is not something I can see super heroes ignoring for that long. Also it's much more dark a concept to fit in to the PD-verse, besides why would Krang just stop at NYC? It wouldn't be too hard to think of a reason but I don't trust Nemec and Applebaum to come up with a plausible one.

The biggest problem is that none of this solves the major problems with PD TMNT approach, that it's very Transformers-esque, no Yoshi/Saki rivalry etc. This just continues it but hopefully with a better execution and all you have to do is look at Out of the Shadows numbers to see the faith people have in that.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote