View Single Post
Old 10-31-2017, 02:47 PM   #59
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Its been a while so I dont remember the details but at the time I was really into the Teen Titans fandom and I still believe youre wrong, the BB/Raven relationship was there very early on even before Terra and the comic followed.
There were people who liked it even early on, but the only episode that anyone really pointed to before Spellbound and Beast Within was Nevermore. Those were the ones where people really started coming in. But there were people who went off how much they enjoyed the two interacting prior to that, yes, but it wasn't super big, as I recall. Season one and two there were about as many people who actually shipped her with Cyborg for some reason - probably pair the spares during season two, since Rob/Star was clearly going to be a thing and Terra was there - and that didn't start to fade until Beast Boy and Raven kind of became the beta ship mid season three and Jinx became the big ship for Cyborg at the start of season three until Kid Flash came into the picture in season five.

Quote:
In fact the comic took a lot of elements from the show that comic purists hated.
They started trying that post-Infinite Crisis and after the show died, yeah, but none of it really stuck. They tried to stuff Beast Boy in his cartoon get-up during OYL, but it look atrocious outside the cartoon style (and honestly, I never thought it looked great there either) and was dropped by the time he was actually in a monthly comic again... for the red and the white that never looked too good either, so, not a super improvement. I remember more fear on the part of comic purists, that they were afraid DC was going to do more of that. Dumbing Starfire down to resemble the speech patterns or naiveté of the cartoon version is something I clearly remember people worrying about, to the point of jumping at shadows; there was a part in 52 during her plot where she was hanging with Animal Man and another companion in space where she ate some tainted fruit or something and a friend worried that was going to be the "narrative excuse".

It was mostly overblown, though understandable at the time, as it's not uncommon for comics to absorb things from a popular cartoon to try and draw some of the fans in, but looking back, Teen Titans didn't take much.

Quote:
I loved the time jump and didnt mind it, sure the show introduced many characters but it did that in season 1 too, it was always a show that wanted to show you the rest of the DCU and not dwell on only a few.
Oh, I'm sure there were people who did like it well enough, including yourself. I didn't mean to imply everyone hated it. But it was a common complaint I saw of season two that had people grumbling pretty hard, but was forgotten when the show was canned, is all I'm saying. Like, the cancellation kind of did it a favor in that it papered over the things people were upset about.

Quote:
Yes, that was my point, I remember exactly the PR and how they were finally comitted to give DC the spotlight it deserved and it was going to be this huge block and whatnot, something happened between the announcement and when it finally came out that CN just wasnt interested anymore. I wasnt following it but Im sure there was some shuffling in the people in charge.
Cartoon Network's had a lot of weird executive shuffling and decisions behind the scenes that really made no sense. I remember that, around when Teen Titans and JLU were canceled, it was announced they were just going to be called CN now and they were branching out of cartoons, trying to pull a SyFy. It failed horribly, no one watched their crappy live action stuff and they had a period where they had to recover. But yeah, odd decisions and changing their mind just seems par for the course for them now. To me, at least. If nothing else, it suggested to me that they had something against superhero cartoons for some weird reason.

I mean, there were three or four superhero cartoons on or coming around the time of the DC Nation block. They stopped showing new episodes of some of them halfway through before dumping them later and canceled three of the four. I've always been convinced that the only reason Teen Titans Go! survived that culling is because it had high ratings (and maybe good merch sales, I don't know how that show does in the toy market).