Thread: Writer's Corner
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 05:16 PM   #118
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by senpai View Post
Wow! Thanks so much, everyone for the wonderful advice. I'm not one to read fantasy so it's really strange I feel inclined to write one. I play fantasy video games...Perhaps that's the reason behind it. I also read lots of horror novels and short stories which often have fantasy elements.

I may look to the name generators and modify names that sound nice to me. Don't worry, Cylons--I won't take your name But you've given me some advice to work with.

Bubblyshell, I will definitely be doing some research. At this time, I don't feel like I have the patience to read traditional fantasy books. I've read the first Harry Potter though! I liked it... But just not enough to dedicate my time to the full series. I'd love to give the Dark Tower series a go though! Have you read those?

Duckie, excellent tips! I'll keep these in mind and look back to them when I'm writing. It sounds like you've been doing this for quite a while. I think what I'm probably gonna start out with is introduce the main character during an event that will kick-start the story and build on that. Such as the setting, time, and what the character desires.

I found this interesting (and silly) link that fantasy lovers might be interested in reading too.

http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2012...ng-fantasyzzz/

I agree that the story should be driven by the characters and fantasy elements are there to make the tale interesting and fun. For some reason, the first thing that's coming to mind, and makes a good example is Avatar: The Last Airbender. We are all interested in the history and the wonders of this world (unless you hate the show ) but what we really want is to see how the characters develop and learn about their desires and what they are willing to do to get what they want, or what they are willing to sacrifice.

You're welcome, senpai, and yes, I HAVE been doing it for a long time. As an RPG gamer (mostly as the DM) for over 20 years, I've had a LOT of experience with writing and world-building fantasy worlds. There are some good books on the subject, that might help you if you can find them, such as the Kobold Guide to World-Building by Wolfgang Baur, or Writer's Digest Writer's Complete Fantasy Reference, or How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy by Orson Scott Card.

And I'll chime in and agree that you should really read the Harry Potter books. They are one of the best children's series I've ever read, and even reading them as an adult, they are as good as Narnia or Oz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Aw man, Senpai, you GOTTA read the whole Harry Potter series. Just... you gotta. I think it's the best written "children's" books EVER written. Cannot endorse them highly enough. My wife and I cry buckets every time we read that series.

Seconded. Not sure if they're "the BEST", but they are right up there with Milne, Baum, and Lewis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senpai View Post
Aww! Haha! I have a few friends who are major fans too. I do have the second book in my collection somewhere. I can dig it up once I'm finished with the books that I'm reading now and see how it goes. I have nothing bad to say about the first book. I rather enjoyed it. I think I just get easily distracted since I work at a library, and I love books so much I just wish I could read them all.

You work in a library? Ooh, I'm jealous, LOL!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote