Thread: DC Future State
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2020, 07:35 AM   #23
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't dislike John Stewart. But to me he's by far the least interesting of the "main" Lanterns. "GL: Mosaic" back in the day was an interesting book but it didn't really give me much impetus to want to see him in a starring role outside of that. Seeing as how he's basically "The replacement for the replacement Green Lantern" by design, he just kinda feels redundant, to me.

I often wonder just what the DC higher-ups have against Guy Gardner. If Hal or Kyle can't be the focus of the main GL book for whatever reason, there's your Go-To right there. More people really ought to track down the first 16 or so issues of his solo book from back in the day, before it was re-branded "Warrior". Low-key one of the best books DC was putting out at that time, and "Yesterday's Sins" is still one of the best character studies they've ever done with ANY of their characters. That whole run was incredible.

Then DC was like, "Yeah, this new Kyle kid is gonna be the only Power Ring guy we have," so they took Sinestro's ring away from Gardner and the book kinda went to sh*t after that. But that first year and a half? Pure magic.

For one of DC's all-around best characters, he sure spends a lot of time either completely on the shelf or totally mishandled. Shame. He could easily carry a book. He's done it before, after all, and not even when he was Green Lantern.

I mean, it's canon that he was supposed to get the ring originally instead of Hal, anyway; it's just that Hal was physically closer to Abin Sur while Abin was dying, but Guy was technically "first pick". Although it was later revealed that if he HAD gotten the ring instead of Hal, he would have been killed in the line of duty in short order. But regardless, considering how important he's been presented as being on more than one occasion... you'd think they'd throw him a bone more often.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote