View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #483
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Now PD had PG13 but for some reason I think people tend to still see it as 'kids only' do they? (non turtle fans I mean) or am I wrong?
Yeah, there's still a pretty strong sigma against them.

It's a major shame that these last films were not handled more seriously. If they had had the level of writing and producing that garnered them a whole series of films it could very well have helped people, outside the basic fandom, take them more seriously.

2016 did so much better on the interactions of the brothers and family drama among them, upping the relatableness by a lot, giving people more reason and opportunity to care about them this time, but then tanked the whole film with weak, anticlimactic storytelling and trying to add in a touch of unnecessary goofiness inspired by the first cartoon (though I'm glad it was limited and not all of them were even involved in that aspect).

I mean...just play them off as a bunch of misfit brothers and accidental heroes that just happen to be mutants. They don't really have to focus on the fact that they're Turtles... they just are. No more than the details of "Rise" should be focusing on the fact that the new April is black... she just is. Let characters be green, black or what have you without having to point at it and make a spectacle of it to make sure that we know.

If they don't have to point it out SO MUCH -- yes, yes, we KNOW they're Turtles, everyone knows -- then maybe people could start to get over the sigma that they're just "talking animals" and therefor a "kid's thing." I mean... it's the Turtles, they can do serious. We know they can. It's not like we're asking someone to turn, say, Roger Rabbit serious. It shouldn't be that hard.

2016 at the very least allowed them to be PEOPLE enough that my mom ended up deciding she has a favorite Turtle now. Too bad the film makers screwed the chances to go further.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote