View Single Post
Old 06-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #32
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

I wonder if the fear of getting older, is because society is slanted in it's preference towards youth?

If you're a woman, you're seen as less 'desirable' once you've reached a certain age (I'm not talking wrinkles here, just age) and the descriptions of you become increasingly more negative.

If in a job situation, there is a known tendency to want younger workers, even though the older ones have more experience.

For some jobs, even though they have older members, there is a 'cut off' age. Once you get past past that you can't get that job. US Police used to have this at age 35, but they took that away and you can get a job as one all the way up to 60-65 I think.

But the thing is, age really is arbitrary in most cases, but the way society sort of starts restricting you (sometimes to the point of it being sometimes being harder to get a job after say, age 40 due to age alone) makes it harder not to feel uneasy.

Is that a part of your fear, Cubed? That you will be made to feel useless and not worth anything as you get older? Or is it the fear of physical decline?
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote