View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 10:10 AM   #64
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Is it really end game though? Godzilla fought King Kong in the third movie originally and Kong was only his second giant monster fight. King Ghidorah usually appears half way through the series, he's more of a recurring villain than the ultimate bad. In fact Mecha Godzilla usually appears after Ghidorah. This isn't the Destroy All Monsters/Final Wars cast and more of a first appearance of Ghidorah movie so it falls in line. Gigan/Destroyah were more of the big bad Godzilla ever faced in those respective series.

I mean I don't see many people getting excited for Godzilla vs Mothra or Barugan or a solo Rodan film. I don't think Godzilla can have that type of an audience even in the post-mainstream geek culture world. Especially when Japan outdid the US with their own serious Godzilla film with Shin Gojira.

Legendary also only has the license until 2020, of course that could be renegotiated, especially if the monsterverse is a success. But Toho is very protective of Godzilla, they didn't sell/let Legendary use other Kaiju until 2014 turned out. Toho is also jealous and petty, they made Godzilla 2000 and Shin Godzilla as responses to the Hollywood films, hell they made Shin Godzilla 10 meters taller than 2014 just so THEY would have the biggest Godzilla and not Hollywood who had made the biggest Godzilla yet.

The point is the movies have to be very successful for it to continue since it's only a license and they would need to throw Toho money for them to not care. They've gone on record that because of the contract, Toho can't release a live action Godzilla movie the same year that Legendary is releases one which is why the Shin Godzilla sequel was on hold and instead they released the anime movies. They also mentioned recently Shin Godzilla 2 wasn't happening and instead they wanted to make their own Cinematic Universe a la Marvel/Showa years to join in on the band wagon and they might not be able to if Hollywood is releasing stinkers. So I guess it all depends on how Godzilla 2 and VsKong do.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote