View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 04:22 PM   #104
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I for one loved the film. Yeah most of the human element fell pretty flat but that’s not what I’m interested in when I sit down for a kaiju flick so it was no big loss to me.

After seeing this over the weekend I rewatched Kong: Skull Island on Sunday and the 2014 Godzilla yesterday. Skull Island is still pretty dang great, both as a kaiju flick and just as a movie in general, but I kept literally falling asleep during Godzilla. Like I get that they were trying to build tension, but having pretty much the whole first half of the film go by without giving us more than the merest of glimpses of Godzilla is definitely less than ideal. The MUTOs, unfortunately, are also just pretty boring, both design wise and story wise. Not a particularly remarkable film. But hey, it kicked off this whole MonsterVerse thing so I’m thankful for that.

Honestly I was nearly ready to sit down and watch King of the Monsters again right after finishing it, that’s how much I liked it. Maybe it’s because I didn’t like Avengers: Endgame as much as I’d hoped I would (I think the reviews for that film will reflect more dissatisfaction over time. It’s good but not great) and the Game of Thrones series finale was such a letdown. I’m super pumped for Godzilla vs. Kong now and am very curious to see what else they reveal about Atlantis and the Hollow Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Amazing effects, and Ghidorah was just- WOW. Same for Rodan. And they definitely teased Kong. I just want to know what some of the others shown were. A few were recognizable, but....
They definitely took inspiration from Toho for some of the other kaijus featured in the film but all the rest of the ones appearing in this film were original creations, as the studio didn’t want to spend the money to both get the rights to use additional named kaiju AND to realize them with digital effects.

I know the mammoth/ape-like one is called Behemoth, and the spider/crab thing is Scylla.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote