View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 04:51 AM   #1
creativeturtle
Random Punk

Creativeturtles (1990) Casey Jones costume (WIP)

Working on a Casey Jones costume from the original film.

I managed to track down this jacket online. It's an 80's Levi's jacket.

Cutting off the sleeves, but leaving about less than a half inch on them allowed for it to fray well in the washing machine after dyeing the jacket.

I dyed it several times with RIT dye. The first time with pearl grey but it didn't come out grey enough, even after 2 boxes. So I went and bought a box of black and a box of green. The black usually turns out looking too purple if you only use one box to get a grey tone. The base color of the black actually seems to be purple. You can see red particles in the dye itself in powder form. To bump the red down and bring it to more of an actual grey I used the green dye too. It worked perfectly!

---------------------------------------------

I also started working on collecting his weapons and his golf bag.

For the baseball bats I picked up these two at a local Goodwill. One is slightly longer than the other but that will work for now.

I also took some screen captures of the golf club he uses at the end of the film. I searched several Goodwill and other thrift stores for a week or so before finding this.

It needs painted to properly match the one in the film, but it's the right model type. Northwestern. I like that it's beat up. It looks how it might if he kept the original club and continued using it. Painting it should be easy.

One of the most important parts of this costume is the golf bag he uses. In the film you hardly see the bag, just in quick movements during the scene with Raphael. I managed to track down the type of bag it is. It's a stovepipe golf bag. I thought maybe it was a quiver for arrows at first honestly, because I'm used to just seeing those big bulky golf bags. Stovepipe bags are small and narrow.

I took several screen captures of the bag and managed to match the bottom up with a old beat up bag I found on ebay. It's going to need plenty of work, and will probably end up needing to be completely re-skinned because of how damaged it is.

Here is an image of the golf bag I purchased, and next up is a comparison shot of the bottom of my bag and the one in the film. I don't believe it is the exact model used in the film, but it does seem to be made by the same manufacturer. Spaulding.

And for now that's all I have. I'm working on tracking down some gloves and some shoes. The gloves seem to just be perforated leather bike gloves. The shoes are black high-tops but I'm not sure what brand.

More updates as they come. The golf bag is supposed to be delievered to me today.
creativeturtle is offline   Reply With Quote