View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #144
Ryanator008
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Prince of Crime View Post
I don't see the reason for the comparison, really. Mario's roots have always been in a less threatening, more cartoony environment, even as far back as Donkey Kong. I'd say that's a heck of a lot different than TMNT's roots, which was a gritty, dark, and violent environment.

The TMNT look ugly here, but I don't see that as a bad thing. They're still recognizable, and they're only ugly because, guess what, they're monsters! I think everyone's too used to seeing them in a way that represents them as more cute and approachable, but the fact of the matter is that they're giant mutant turtles. These designs are just sticking closer to what they'd look like if they were real, even moreso than any of the live-action movies of the past did. In-universe, what are usually people's reactions to seeing the Turtles for the first time? Screaming in terror seems to be pretty common.

I honestly think most of you are being too harsh, and while I certainly have nothing against more cartoony looking Turtles, I actually think it's pretty awesome that someone finally made a better attempt at making them look like what they'd likely look like if they were real. If their looks are apprehensive to you, that's only because they're supposed to. It's not like we're talking about Mickey Mouse here. These aren't squash-n-stretch toons, they're mutated freaks that live in a world mostly grounded in reality (but with a lot of sci-fi elements, of course).

I'm sorry most of you feel so negatively about how they look, but ya know what? You can just skip out on this game, if you'd like. I'm sure it's only a matter of time until they make another TMNT game that has more digestible, cartoony designs. Personally, what I'm going to judge more on this game, after having seen the direction they're going in, is what the humans look like. If the humans look real, then I'm sold. Granted, I can't speak for the gameplay, as it's still too early to know what that'll be like, but I do enjoy beat 'em ups, so I have my hopes.
How are the turtles and Mario not comparable. The Turtles have always looked cartoony, just like Mario. Even in the live-action movies (which I have no nostalgia for) they looked a bit cartoony.