View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 07:25 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Youtube hasn't taken any hits, it's doing as well as it has, the adpocalypse has only hurt content creators, the audience remains loyal to youtube, a few thousand vocal people are nothing to youtube.

Facebook is not used that much by younger people indeed and is mostly populated by older people, and while it hasn't grown a lot recently, it isn't going the myspace route anytime soon, Facebook is too prepared buying up anything it sees potential in like Instagram and Whatsapp.

Twitter has actually seen an increase in usage thanks to the President of the US, not the other way around. Twitter does have financial issues but that's because it hasn't been able to monetize as well or continue growth that is expected from them.

Snapchat seemed to be the next big thing and it started as a sexting app, however its mostly stumbled thanks to Facebook copying things that defined snapchat into Instagram, Whatsapp and even Facebook.

Instagram pretty popular and also none of you have mentioned Periscope.

As for the story itself, Facebook might not be super popular with "the kids" but its still a thing and again used by older folk who don't understand technology who would be the ones calling the police.
Yeah, I thought youtube was bigger than ever considering they even make some tv shows these days there. Getting a couple of million of views back in 2006 was a huge deal on YT. Nowadays not so much. YT has changed a lot since its early days. In 2006-2007 it was mostly a place to stream older anime, cartoons and tv shows. Well you can still do that there, but newer stuff gets taken down quickly. 2006-2007 YT was also a goldmine for wrestling videos, and the top YT celebrities were people like Smosh and the Angry Video Game Nerd.

I feel like the only person in the world who doesn't have Whatsapp.

Periscope? What is that?

I thought IG had always been owned by FB?

Anyway, there's WAY too many of these social networks these days and they're all basically the same thing. Unless you run a business is it really worth it to have an account in every of those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post

Social networks weren't a thing int he mid 90s, you mean mid 00's. Livejournal was a blog and not a social network, myspace was the first one that revolutionized the modern "social network" and it was wildly popular, hell its referenced in the first Iron Man movie. Sadly it didn't know how to manage and along came Facebook which started as a Harvard University only thing but from there it went to other big name universities, which gave it an "exclusivity" vibe, and then only college emails were accepted into Facebook so it had the "I'm cool because I use FB" While Myspace looked more and more like geocities websites of the 90s. When they let anyone join all the young people wanted to be hip and started to join FB leaving myspace to slowly die, as it got more popular companies started using it more and more and with the advent of smartphones and tablets everyone and their mother had a facebook account.
Wait, I did mean early-mid 2000s. Why did I type 90s? lol

Ah blogs were a thing for a while around 2003-2006 iirc. Do people still have those?

MySpace was a rather niche website in my country. Only musicians and aspiring musicians used it. Hi5 was the social network teenagers and people aged 20-25 here used before FB nearly killed it.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote