Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
you might want to read this

http://www.comicsbeat.com/titling-at...comics-anyway/

Do yourself a favor and read the web essay "Shut The F*ck Up Marvel" also

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1362725
You could make a case that both those essays sum up peoples frustrations with the current comic book business in general but none really offer any convincing solutions.

Sure, the All-New, All-Different era wasn't exactly a huge blockbuster success and sales where down compared to what they were three years ago and yet for most of that era no one seemed to care or make a big deal about it seemingly brushing it off as the normal ebbs and flows of comic book publishing until Rebirth happened and like every time DC overtakes Marvel in sales people run around claiming the sky is falling and that Marvel is done but this time it also had a nasty undercurrent of disgruntled fans salivating over the prospect of getting rid of the "diversity" characters in order to compete with DC.

Of course DC was only #1 publisher for a handful of months before Marvel regained the top spot. If people think Marvel is flopping and their sales are plummeting that's fair enough (I'd disagree) but the idea that a long term fix is to emulate a company which is currently selling less than them seems foolish.

Obviously Marvel is going to try their own version of Rebirth because enhanced sales for a few months is still appealing but frankly Marvel already had tried their own Rebirth years ago with the Heroic Age which tried to do a lot of what DC is currently trying to do and the results were largely underwhelming as was laying off big events during that period.

As much as they've become a bane of comic book fans (at least if the internet is to be believed) events sell and have been doing for the past few decades, even Civil War II which was decidedly meh sold well for Marvel. I can't really fault Marvel for doing what sells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
LOL:

They say this like it's supposed to be a selling point, when it just sounds like more retcons and needless story revamps.
You'd think so but from what I've been seeing the reaction to the latest Legacy announcements including the variant covers is anger that they don't seem to indicate any big mind blowing status quo shift.

I have little doubt there will be one but I doubt Marvel is going to give it away. As you might guess I'm rather unipressed with Rebirth but the least compelling aspect is the whole Watchmen connection. If Legacy doesn't have anything like that and it's simply bringing back a the likes of Steve Rogers and Odinson to their classic roles would it really be such a bad thing?

Last edited by Galactus; 06-23-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote