View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #36
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihb View Post
Thanks for this.

I have a question, I am new to really reading the TMNT comics, I grew up on the movies and TV show. Whith so many cover variations that come out with each release, how does one know what ones will be more valuable, and what ones to try and get?

Also, what are all the collection releases that are coming out?
The more "valuable" comics are going to be the retailer incentive variants, such as the RI-A,B,C,D covers for #1, and retailer exclusive variants, like the Jetpack Comics variants and VA Comic Con variants.

Comics in general have been stuck in a buyers market for about 10 years now. There were rarer comics and variant covers that I got a great deal on 5 years ago buying them for $20 a pop that are now only worth $8. I wouldn't really get into it for the money, unless you can really shell out and pay for the really rare variants up front, such as the TMNT #1 RI D Eastman hand sketches (1:50 incentive) that are sure to go up in the future.

A break down of the cover ratios might give you a better idea of what issues are harder to come by and thus have a better chance of being worth more in the future.

Cover A is the standard cover (except for #5 which is a cover error, where cover B is the standard cover)
Cover B come in a 1:4 ratio (for every 5 copies of the book, 1 is cover B, 4 are cover A)
Retailer Incentive A (RI-A) is the 1:10 variant (the retailer orders 10 copies, they get one of these for free. So 100 copies ordered get 10 RI variants)
Retailer Incentive B (RI-B) is the 1:25 variant (order 25 copies get one of these for free. 100 copies = 4 variants of this.)

For the first issue there are way more covers, I recommend checking out Rich's site to help you track them all down. For issue #1 I believe covers A,B,C,D that feature the turtles all had an equal pack in rate.