View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 10:57 PM   #53
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Maybe they can do it as a CGI movie like TMNT 2007. But if they did. I bet it'll tonally be more like Rise of the TMNT. cause with that series coming out this year. The show is being aimed at a younger audience. If Teen Titans Go can get a movie. Don't be surprise if they did a animated movie version of Rise of the TMNT.

As it stands right now. Nickelodeon sees TMNT as a kids property. and they are gonna tone it down to be for a younger demographic in the foreseeable future.

If you want your TMNT to be more mature. Your gonna have to read the IDW comics. Since that comic series can get mature sometimes.
I personally would not want another animated feature and I don't think one is very likely. How many cgi animated movies that are not Pixar are hits? The ones that are look like Pixar and TMNT '07 pushed TMNT into that mould as much as they could and while it made a profit it wasn't anything to write home about. Viacom did not acquire the franchise to make small change, they want big returns on their investments.

Sure, Nickelodeon bought TMNT because they wanted a kids property specifically aimed at young boys but Paramount saw TMNT as their then next big action/adventure property specifically an answer to losing the distribution of Iron Man movies so much so that at one point they wanted the guy who wrote that movie to write TMNT.

They ended up going for the Michael Bay approach which was a mistake but the idea that they did not instantly treat it 100% as a kiddie product was not. Less good that the lesson they took for the sequel was to make it exclusively for kids and nostalgics which backfired so badly it' all but buried the franchise in movies. Leaning heavily on the Fred Wolf show for inspiration and owning the silliness are two things that should never be done again. Of course it's sadly more than possible that what they take from this is that they did not do this enough (as if that's possible) which is ugh.

I could see a potential live action movie using elements of Rise of the TMNT (if the show is successful) but I cannot see a bunch of studio execs wanting anything that is not instantly recognizable as TMNT to a broad audience and a recognizable villain not Baron Whatsisname.

I think that's also a big creative hurdle to get past. As much as some people may roll their eyes and think "what again?" if they use Shredder other than Krang most of the well known TMNT rogues are conceptually poor choices for movies.

I see a lot of fans saying the Rat King would be a good villain (and yeah he'd be creepy) but what do you picture a final act climactic battle would be in a TMNT vs Rat King movie? The turtles fighting rats - regular rats. Try selling that a movie studio.

Same thing with Leatherhead. Plus what kind of scheme would Leatherhead concoct that the turtles would have to thwart?

Baxter would be an interesting one. If they are going Fred Wolf they could have some interesting aerial fights and any version could have a giant robot but it still seems kinda weak for the main villain of a movie. Sure, you can alter them somewhat. Beef them and their mo up a bit. Spider-Man: Homecoming made the Vulture into an engaging villain...somewhat. He had a compelling motivation and surprising (at the time) connection to Peter I still think that final battle on the quinjet wasn't really strong enough.

There are some other villains that could creatively carry a movie. Bishop, Hun, Null, Karai if we're treating her as a villain but they are not widely known and you would need to get an audience on board first and that means Oroku Saki first.

Of course I still say the likelihood of any TMNT movie happening in the near future is low but it's fun to speculate.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote