View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #15
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I don't know. Running a business, dealing with the boyfriend's mom, movingaround, seeking emplyment, getting a hobby, spending time with her sister, an old bond with her uncle, getting married etc. They may not seem like much but it does make her feel like a real person. A character doing seemingly mundane things most of the time might not seem important, but it goes a long way to make her relatable.

The Fred Wolf cartoon mostly just seems interested in April as an excuse to frame whatever McGuffin the episode was about, while the Nickelodeon April was... I don't know what the hell they were on about. They seemed bizarrely more interested the stupid super powers they made up for her, rather than anything else. It's weird too, she has a dad, an aunt and a school but it's the show went out of it's way to avoid those things, we don't even get to see her aunt. It's like they didn't want her to have any ties to normalcy.

That's really the point I'm trying to make, what 4Kids April has above the other cartoon Aprils is that she feels more like a real person. Not some component of a tired episode formula, or some sci-fi cliché in a sea of sci-fi clichés.
This is why 2k3 April is my favorite incarnation(well compared to the other two its not saying much) she feels like her own character first and actually shows what happens to a "normal" person who regularly teams up with vigilantes and mutants. The one thing I dislike about her character is that she sort of mastered ninjutsu too fast.