View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #64
Galactus
Foot Elite

If I could be bothered I'd break out the Duey I expect nothing and I'm still let down meme. Sure, this wasn't the worst case scenario but this is not a victory for anyone but the two people at the very top. It doesn't really forward peace in any way.

Kim Jong Un gets a what he's always wanted in a meeting with the a US president. He gains an even tighter propaganda grip on North Korea and validity on the world stage. Pretty much all the globe with all of it's extreme ideological differences seemed to agree not to deal with North Korea unless they had to. Now that Trump has cracked open the door it's possible other world leaders will want to have a chat with the great dictator. That may not like such a bad thing unless say North Korea and Iran start meeting then I'm sure eyebrows will be raised.

Still that possibility may have been worth it to ensure some kind of peace, de-nuclearisation still seems unlikely but he could have got something out of Kim (stuff that he wasn't already doing anyway) but he didn't.

Worse than that Trump offered stuff like halting joint military exercises on the Korean peninsula without running it by South Korea - y'know the real people that are leading the way in this. I'm not sure blindsiding the real brains behind this with something they may not be cool with is a good idea. Trump got nothing out of Kim and Kim got everything he wanted out of Trump and then some. It's not that Kim outsmarted Trump but rather in his zeal for a big PR win Trump played himself.

Still it's a big PR win for Trump but I recall during his election his supporters gloated about how much free publicity the media (true) I wonder if they are really that cool with the millions in tax payer money this photo op cost.

Last edited by Galactus; 06-12-2018 at 04:47 PM.