View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #3000
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Well my MMPR marathon got sidetracked after watching the season 3 Premier A Friend in Need and I was reminded I always wanted to finally marathon Masked Rider next time I was watching through MMPR, so I made my marathon longer....
I'd only seen a few episodes but I always wanted to watch the entire show and ten years ago it just wasn't online but thankfully I was finally able to since it's now online. it's odd how an official spin-off of Power Rangers took that long to make its way online which haters may like or hate but it is technically in continuity.

So overall the show is far from the worst thing ever as the fandom tries to make it to be but I think that has to do more with most people not having nostalgia for it so it just looks goofy while MMPR/VR Troopers/Beetleborgs do have nostalgic appeal and also because of hardcore Kamen Rider toku fans who hate what they did to their "serious" franchise propogating myths such as "Toei doesn't want to show it again" with no real basis whatsoever.

It's basically a generic Saban Toku show but the "family" setting just isn't as appealing as the other ameritoku shows had, the editing is fairly bad but on par with VR Troopers. The characters are just not that interesting including Dex but they all had potential even if never realized I guess they needed better writers but I could see the whole family actually being interesting if a little more effort was put on them. The villains are also really boring and a lot more could've been done with them as they felt super threatening in their Power Rangers appearance, I still remember as a kid thinking Count Dregon would be the new bad guy of MMPR since the episode ends on a cliffhanger on his way to destroy the Power Rangers..at the time I had no idea there was a spin-off show. Two of my favorite characters are the neighbor who has a crush on Dex with her snobby attitude but as the others she had her potential cut and my favorite character is Ferbus. I know, I know, he's the cute annoying character I'm supposed to hate but he was so cute and actually funny during the show, I guess he just reminded me of a mischievous dog or something and didn't take too much screen time like say Scrappy for comparison's sake so that helped him. Weird how Furby's have a similar name and look from him even though they came after so I guess Saban was on to something there.

The battles themselves can be a bit boring since Dex has such a boring/monotone voice but even then the footage taken from Black R/X is still cool in its own right which made up for it. The final episode where we see the past "Masked Rider Warriors" is genuinely awesome and I enjoyed it as much as classic MMPR episodes, that one cut the humor so I guess that worked here. Overall the show isn't amazing and it has plenty of flaws but it deserves to be part of Power Ranger history.

Now I'll continue with my MMPR marathon continuing season 3, it's looking very difficult for me to get to Zeo since Masked Rider threw my schedule off course by adding 40 more episodes and I won't have enough time later to continue marathoning it but we'll see.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote