View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #52
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Palmer View Post
I suggested the reading order I did for just this reason...get the meat of the story right off the bat to give you a full, unfiltered taste of classic Mirage TMNT. A second pass through volume 1 would have picked up the strong stories throughout. Outside of that main reading list (I could remove 8 and 9 from my initial list), most of the volume could be considered an anthology series. The River, Souls Winter, Sons of the Silent Age, Masks, and Hall of Lost Legends are among my favorite stories. I'm also partial to Donatello's 1-shot which serves as a fantastic tribute to Jack Kirby, a big inspiration to Eastman & Laird. Most of these don't add to the main story, though they do enrich the TMNT tapestry.

I think we all wish that Eastman and Laird could have helmed the whole volume. Of course, if they did that, the they'd have to steal focus from running the juggernaut that was the TMNT in the late 80's/early 90's. Who knows how that would have changed things.

Like many said, Volume 1 is a mixed bag. It's best not to label it as a whole, rather break it out into individual stories.
I'll follow your list more then, was already searching the internet some days ago for a full reading order which was surprisingly hard to find
Reading the "filler" chapters feel like a chore to me and i only read them because its a digit following from the last chapter with TMNT in the title.

However i did enjoy the Kirby chapter, it was a fun chapter with a pretty sad ending, however i already knew how it would end since the 2003's TMNT did a full episode about this

How is Vol.2 and Vol.4 though? Random like Vol.1?
Mexiun is offline   Reply With Quote