View Single Post
Old 11-05-2017, 01:47 AM   #1715
Chris
Mad Scientist

I like that they're changing it up a bit. We've just had 5 seasons of relatively traditional (slightly horror inspired) TMNT. It would be too soon to go straight back to that well. So let them shake things up a bit. If it works, great, if not, oh well at least they tried. They might do something that works really well and gets embraced enough to stick around when we get the next traditional style series.

I love the idea of black April, it's a nice nod to her ethnically ambiguous roots. I'm intrigued by the characterisation changes and loving the idea of Mikey's artistic side (finally!). Sure I'm a little apprehensive of Leo not being the leader, but I'm also excited by how this opens them up to explore who he is beyond just "Leonardo leads". Yes, that option is always there (Nick Leo found a good balance between a growing leader and a lovable geek) but it's so easy for him to get stereotyped that by taking the leadership role away they have to explore the rest of his personality.

At the end of the day, I already have 2 animated series that I love (2K3 & 2K12), the brilliant original movie and it's still fun to watch sequels, the Mirage comics and the still ongoing IDW comic. If I enjoy this series that's fantastic, but if not then I still have my TMNT, this series is for the next generation. These characters will continue to get reinvented. Sometimes it works (2K3, IDW), sometimes it doesn't (TNM, PD), but there will always be a new version coming. If I don't like it, I can enjoy what I have and wait to see what's next.

As long as it's not TMNT Team Up! That needs to be burnt in the fires of hell and never seen again