View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 03:46 PM   #30
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Kids of today outgrow toys fast. I have younger siblings and they're glued to the ipad, phone, or youtube all day.
I see that mentioned a lot by parents online these days, which is why I openly wondered if toys are still big business earlier. They really do have a lot more competition for kids attention these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
By the time I was 10 I still bought some toys but I had for the most part moved on to video games, Once I had my Nintendo 64 I never asked for toys anymore only video games, I would still get one or two from time to time and still played with all my toys but yeah all my money was for video games and most of my time too.
That's how it was for me too. Once video games took hold, that was about it. Though I did hold on a bit past ten, primarily because I really liked Beast Wars, so I still occasionally asked for some Transformers toys.

Quote:
Why do kids even go to malls anymore?
A place to hang out, if they go at all. As spd said, malls as we knew them are dying, as a natural consequence of internet ordering. I've seen it in person; some malls are like ghost towns with only a few open shops at a given time. They don't have enough unique about them to be worth going to, they're overpriced and most malls that go under are outside cities, which is where you're even likelier to just order something on the internet.

Quote:
(this journalist seems to se it as a problem, but I don't care)
Eh, I agree with him. Nostalgia aside, most of those shows weren't very good and had the most obnoxious "buy this as a toy variant in stores soon" stuff. You really have to skim for the best episodes, nowadays. I'm not particularly sorry those days are over, if only for the sake of cartoon quality.

That said, those days brought about a lot of things that shaped my childhood, so I'm not sorry they happened, either.