View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 11:16 PM   #124
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Where we differ, as far as I understand:

1. DACA APPROVED recipients are no different than illegal immigrants.
I never said that, nor do I believe that. I mean, they're not citizens certainly, but they're no longer illegal immigrants by the letter of the law. Now, they were illegal immigrants for the entire period of time up until when and if they were approved for DACA. I think that's the distinction that we're getting wires crossed over.

Quote:
To be clear: the issue of whether or not DACA recipients should receive welfare on behalf of US tax payers is understandably controversial. I'm not super gung-ho about paying someone else's college tuition if their future in this country is suspect.
I'm... OK with DACA recipients receiving welfare as would be afforded any other citizen. But only if it is agreed that DACA be a one time thing. There can't be, like, new DACA applicants forever. A one time good faith measure, I'm fine with that.

Quote:
The thing I take issue with is the vilification of immigrants in general. The "illegal" part seems to get lost in discussion, and by the end we're all at each other's throats on things we actually all agree on.
Wisely spoken.

Quote:
Personally, I have no problem with the whole idea of DACA. If someone brings a kid to a weird country, the child is raised in the ways and culture of THAT country, and has little to no connection with their country of origin, then it's kind a dick move to ship them back. None of this was their doing to begin with, and if they're making a solid go of being a decent part of American society, then who does it hurt if they're a productive part of our country?
No problem with that, as long as they're not a criminal or anything. But again, it can't stay like that (meaning, if we just keep accepting DACA applicants for decades), and they certainly shouldn't be allowed to sponsor their family in later on. Otherwise, look at the incentive. Sneak across the border with your kids, lay low with Uncle Ramos for a few years, and BAM... your kids can probably get DACA and you get to stay, too. Why wouldn't you leave Venezuela if you can just do that?

It seems to me that this generation today has forgotten that legal immigration even exists. There's lots of people out there who honestly seem to believe that the only way to immigrate is to sneak into a country and then hopefully get citizenship because they were crafty and sneaky enough. It's getting very strange to me. People banging signs around that say, "I STAND WITH IMMIGRANTS" and it's like... well sh**, I do, too. Of course I do, my mom immigrated here legally decades ago. And to my knowledge, there isn't one soul out there that is against legal immigration. So what are they protesting, exactly?

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 02-20-2019 at 11:32 PM.