View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

"Our destiny begins tomorrow and we are way behind."

Yup, and that totally sums up this series so far. And perhaps intentionally? Hopefully that suggests we're finally at a turning point to some extent.

Pretty decent and glad they threw some backstory in there to try to explain this sudden revelation. I really wasn't too sure this show would hardly bother enough.

Mystic/demon Shredder... predictable, but not in a bad way, and fitting. And helps that this is probably (I assume) pulling from the old Tengu Shredder idea. (And I'm kind of wondering if that was the initial inspiration to even go in this mystic direction in general...)

My only real complaints about this one is needing to tone down some of the overdone hyperness a few notches -- some of that level of crazy is just distracting in a way that doesn't help it -- and just the nonsense, often common to today's cartoons unfortunately, that is a waste of precious storytelling time that it could have done without. (e.g. The going back and forth with Splinter to convince each other of what they were each up to and the overly long and unnecessary cover removal from the "pump sandals.")

Other things... haha B&R, the giant bird was kinda cool.... but why the hell did April not question or appear confused and/or shocked when Splinter was telling her about his life and fame when she and the Turtles had all been oblivious of this? Though I'm glad it was revealed to the Turtles. After April being unfazed I thought maybe we were just skipping it and pretending everyone already knows...

While there is still plenty of room for criticism, for what it is this show really is at its best on the rare occasion it gets back to its supposed theme. I hope that last line from Splinter did suggest it might finally make eps focusing on that theme a little more equal portion of the series now.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote