View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 11:12 AM   #21
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

My head goes crazy on what the next possible "live action" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie could be, but I also need to remind myself to keep my expectations and hype in check because generally what I would WANT to see in a TMNT movie isn't probably what Viacom has in mind. I don't understand why TMNT has to be thrown in as a "kiddie" style money maker when Marvel seems to be getting the formula right. You make a good action movie with depth and story that also can sell toys ... it doesn't seem to be that difficult, but the big issue is that Paramount and Viacom don't have a Marvel Studios type production company to help steer the ship.

I've read where some people feel those PD films tried to go in that style, but good lord almighty was it not. I get furious when I think about the 2014 film and because of OotS's disappointing numbers, I wonder if the next thing out of the gate is going to be animated? I hope not, but I can see that being their "safe" option. Like many have said, I also hope that it is it's own thing and doesn't reflect the designs of what the Bay Turtles and Rise are going for. I can't stand the radically different designs among the four of them, but I know that's what helps sell toys these days as opposed to all four Turtles looking very similar and it's up to character development and writing to help an audience learn the differences between all four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
I really hope the next one is more lower scale and more grounded, no more "Power Armor Shredder" or "Portal in the Sky"
Same here. I wish the studio would take a risk and go for something that doesn't have to be this 100+ million dollar investment to make ... if a grounded film makes a good amount of money and the story naturally progesses into something more expensive, I'd be all for it - but being burned by OoTS hopefully would make Viacom learn their lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I think the good news is we have likely hit the "lowest of the low" when it comes to TMNT films. All due respect if you enjoy Platinum Dunes, but to many, the fact that they are so off-base and plummeted at the box office, means the next direction will at least feel much closer to home and comfortable. I'd think.
I really hope so. The formula to get it right is there, they just need a great creative team behind it and a studio that's willing to make it come to life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
It just got delayed after Nick bought the franchise and that turned into PD, right?
It did ... apparently Paramount wasn't too keen on the original John Fusco script anyway. How that hasn't leaked yet still shocks me.