View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I think for the most part my opinions have remained the same. One exception that comes to mind is Croc, for Playstation. I loved it as a kid, but going back to it earlier this year was a rude awakening. Terrible controls, terrible camera, some very wacky design choices, etc. It still had its visual charm & evoked some nostalgia, but I couldn't bear to actually play through it.
Watching a bit of gameplay on youtube it looks like a typical mid-late 90s 3D platforming game in the vein of Banjo-Kazooie and Crash Bandicoot. Its graphics don't look good... but probably did back when it came out.

I still think Banjo-Kazooie looks and plays decently these days myself. Donkey Kong 64 not as much, but I expected it to have aged much worse considering what I have read about it. then again I didn't get very far into it when I replayed it for a bit around 2015.

It's just harder for 3D games, especially earlier ones to age as gracefully as 2D games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well obviously games from the N64/PS1 or early PS2 era are bound to feel dated now, but that doesn't make them less great.

Ocarina of Time is still fantastic and the 3DS remake is the definitive version now.
Fantastic? Wouldn't say so. It's definitely a very good game still, but I certainly can no longer call it "the greatest game ever" like I did back in 1998-1999. Looking back, some parts of Ocarina were kinda boring and slow paced. Lord jabu Jabu and the Water Temple aren't very fun dungeons. Fortunately the 3DS version made it easier to play through the water temple.

One thing though, Ocarina is still playable due to the Z-targeting feature and being able to warp by playing certain songs on your Ocarina. being able to switch between day and night time(Sun song) and also having Epona as your mean of transportation also helps making the game feel less heavy and less slow paced. Same for the auto jumping. Imagine Ocarina not having any of these things. *shudders*
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote