View Single Post
Old 09-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #65
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I don't knnow the specifics of how the timeline was changed post OMD after the beginning of the Spider-Island arc, but this is one of the reasons the entire BND timeline simply does not work- it created too many snarls and ret-cons for the "new" timeline to ever make any sense.
I'll take your word for it.

Quote:
Annie's entire existence seems to hinge on that scene where Mephisto taunted them with the "now she will never be born" jab. Other than that, I can't see any ties between her and the pre-OMD timeframe.
I guess the way I saw it was that one of the differences between the RYV timeline and the 616 version (let's just focus on the pre-OMD versio, however and wherever that exists "now"), is that in the former, Peter and MJ conceived a child earlier than the did otherwise. In other words, Annie's birth is one of the differences, along with Captain America's new uniform and the like.

Quote:
Bur then there have been a number of "branching" realities created by the fiasco so almost anything is possible, I suppose. Mayday WAS the "official" firstborn child, and her death (or even birth) is one of the biggest snarls in the BND timeline. They basically erased her from ever having existed at all, from what I've seen.
As I've said before, I thought the comic branched off between the Parker/Watson marriage and the '90s Clone Saga. While I'm not dogmatic about that (since it could just be a universe that "always" stood alone, a la the Ultimate universe or the Raimi/Webb/MCU movies), if I'm right, then the RYV Parkers were already raising their iteration of the family while OMD was doing whatever it did in 616.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
It's sort of a theory that has had canonical solidification in snippets from interviews and the main books. Based off interviews with JMS about his meetings with Quesada (the infamous "it's magic, we don't have to explain it" comes from them) what MJ says to Peter before the deal takes effect in OMD ("No matter what he does to us, we'll find a way to be together"), and recent stuff in Spider-Man/Deadpool (Peter no longer remembers Mephisto, but Mephisto taunts that he is responsible for the ultimate fall)
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
And I can verify the "Book of Peter", the story where Peter meets the One-Above-All and is assured of his future with MJ and their kids, takes place during Civil War and prior to OMD.
Okay.

Since Marvel apparently declared the scene to be in a different universe, I guess I'm not sure if we can still apply it to the post-OMD 616 universe (on one had I'd like to, but on the other hand, I think that 616 has taken too much damage to be salvaged and that the married Spider-Man iteration should have an alternative home.

On the other hand, the parallel universe label does mean that there's a place where the ASM Spider-Man comics from the beginning to 2007 exists completely intact and no OMD, so that's a win, IMHO.
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote