View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #66
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyKali View Post
I really respect you for being so gracious! It's a rare writer that reacts like you just did.

I agree with all the things that JLS said as well. Those were exactly the
examples I was thinking of.

Do you have a beta-reader? Things like this are exactly what editors are for!
Many times, a professional writer will have a draft of a story, and there will be one scene (or one joke) that could throw the whole thing off balance. Generally, due to being so close to the work, and having put effort into creating everything, they won't be able to see it. Thus, an editor has to catch it.
I remember watching a documentary about the writer Ian Rankin (author of the Rebus detective novels) and it showed his editor catching a few things wrong in his early drafts of "Standing in Another Man's Grave" (his new breakout hero Malcom Fox being an uncharacterstic d*ck to the main character Rebus), the editor was concerned about him annoying fans of the Fox character, saying that it didnt work in context, and Rankin being beside himself convinced it worked in context. So yeah, I can see what you mean about being too close to the work and needing someone who, while unattached in some places, is attached to the aspects of the presentation that matter to the overall reader, someone who has the pulse on the people.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote