Thread: iZombie
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 05:54 AM   #1
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

iZombie

Anybody watch?

Despite it being from the creator of Veronica Mars, and despite the glowing press reviews of the pilot, I had a feeling it was going to suck. I don't like the comic its based on, and the overall look of the marketing material made me think its just not for me.

Having now seen the pilot... Well, its a lot better than I thought. But partially thats just because it feels like Zombie Veronica Mars: The Series. Which, as bizarre of a pairing as it sounds, is married decently enough for the first episode. I felt what worked best in this are the same staples of what made V-Mars so appealing: Rob Thomas's writing, Josh Kramon's score, a likeable snarky female lead solving crimes.

The parts that don't work for me is odd comic book transitions and the very, very bland cast of characters that surround the lead. I know its early and they're still fleshing things out(weak pun intended), but by the end of Veronica's pilot we got to know loving father Keith, bubbly best friend Lily, arrogant jackass Logan, wrong-side-of-the-tracks Weevil, just-trying-to-get-by Wallace, narcissistic Sheriff Lamb... Just a full universe of characters in 45 minutes while also establishing the society of Neptune("the town without the middle class") AND laying the groundwork for a season long mystery. This doesn't seem to want to reach that far. And thats upsetting. Because I know Rob Thomas can.

But I suppose I need to judge it for what it is and stop comparing it to Veronica along the way(as hard as that will be since the lead even narrates with a Kristen Bell-like delivery).
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote