View Single Post
Old 04-03-2016, 01:28 AM   #37
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post

Film-wise there's the first pitch with face-painted comedians, the 4th flick (with Julie Strain, Spyder, "the next mutation", cyber villains, etc. that one had at least 3-4 proposed iterations), the would-be John Woo movie, Steve Barron's 2000 Henson sequel, the Hallmark flick, the Imagi sequel, the John Fusco pre-buyout film, Blue Door, the list goes on & on.

I'll also echo the "anything further to deal with the live action films" enthusiasm, especially regarding the first, though I'd love to see/hear more about the lesser covered sequels.
The film series on it's own would make for a killer, super long documentary, like the 4+ hour long NIGHTMARE or GHOSTBUSTERS docs. It could easily be just as interesting of a showbiz industry doc as a franchise doc. An interesting look into independent film industry of the 90s, especially when centered around Eastman and Laird-- industry outsiders running a huge blockbuster franchise within the indie film biz. Warts and all. Something like how the SUPERMAN LIVES doc did a great job of showing the inner-workings of 90s blockuster franchise movie development. I honestly think it's just as interesting of a story as E&L starting the franchise, early Mirage days, etc.

There are even more unseen/unknown versions that it would be great to see covered in-depth. The early Mouser version of the 1990 movie, the original environmental-based script for Secret of the Ooze with Casey Jones, I would LOVE to see the development of TMNT 3: THE SACRED SCROLL OF DEATH. I know E&L honestly tried hard to right the wrong of SOTO, to make something really, really cool. The TMNT 4 stuff was an animal all to itself. There's a lot of misinformation out there. The scripts weren't perfect, but the threads were there to make a very cool movie. It could have easily turned into the second best TMNT movie, obviously behind Barron's.

Powder, you mentioned the Hallmark mini-series and the Barron sequel. Were they not the same project? I know that a few screenwriters that worked on the Kirby version wrote the Hallmark scripts. The story had something to do with the TMNT's individual spirits merging on the astral plane. I would LOVE to see Barron discussing his ideas on it.

The Fusco project would be REALLY cool to see covered, too.

Last edited by d_osborn; 04-03-2016 at 01:40 AM.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote