View Single Post
Old 06-05-2005, 05:16 AM   #28
kyabetsu
Foot Elite

the auctions in the above post aren't QUIIIIIITE over yet, but they end today...

however, NEW Listings are for you comic collectors:

BRONZE AGE (1973) SHAZAM! Captain Marvel #1 Graded VERY FINE* condition!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

SILVER AGE (1962) The Life Of POPE JOHN PAUL II!! The life story of the recently deceased Pope up until the assassination attempt. Graded VERY FINE* condition

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

*Quick info: The comic grading scale is

MINT...which is almost impossible to acchieve. NO creases on spine, NO blunted corners. NO tears. NO water Damage. NO markings. NO printing errors. The spine is NOT rolled, the staples are not rusted or pulling, and the book's colors are bright, glossy, and unfaded.

NEAR MINT... same, but is allowed to have blunted corners and very VERY minor creases in spine ((the Pope comic missed this grading by 3 small creases.))

VERY FINE... Very difficult to acheive, Same as above, but the spine may have very limited crease damage... so 4 or 5 visible creases or a handful of hairline almost creases. Corners maybe in more rough condition, but not torn and not mangled in any sense. NO TEARS. Unrolled Spine. No Rust on the staples. Bright, unfaded Glossy cover. No water Damage. No markings or writings anywhere in the book. Printer errors allowed.

FINE...May be faded. May not be torn. No rolled spine. Spine creases are not glaringly obvious. No water damage. No writings.

VERY GOOD... May be faded. May have tears to back cover or internal pages (MINOR!!!) NO writing. Spine has to be straight and the major creases under 5 (MAJOR creases= white paper discoloration more than 1/3" into cover)

GOOD...MINOR water damage allowed. MINOR cover tears allowed. NO MARKINGS. No missing staples. May be faded. The spine shouldn't look CRAPPY. The staples may be SLIGHTLY rusted.

COMPLETELY WORTHLESS... MIssing cover. Water damage larger than 1/2" in diameter. Outright MOLD discoloration on the book. Rolled Spine. Missing staples. Rusted Staples to the point where they discolor the book. BIG cover tears (over 1/2"). The spine has more creases than it has UNCREASED space. THERE"S WRITING OF ANY KIND-- the only exception to this would be a documented SIGNATURE of author or artist. Signatures don't render the book worthless, they just drop the grading down an entire level from what the REST of the book would grade at. A signed book is a DEVALUED book. ...only reason to get it signed? sentimental or collector reasons. But for the $$$$ of the book? Signatures are damage.

mind you, comic book grading is pretty subjective at times... so you get gradings like "NM/VF" or "VG/G"... and "COMPLETELY WORTHLESS" is not an actual grading, but it may as well be.

If I weren't being cautious on ebay? ((b/c the last thing i want is some one haggling that the book was NOT "NM/VF" in their eyes but mearly "VF" ... I would have graded the Pope comic at "NM/VF." The Shazam, however, is a SOLID "VF."

They also rate out of "10"

Mint: 10-9.7
NM: 9.7-9.1
VF:9-8
F: 8-7
VG:7-6.5
G:6.5-6
COMPLETELY WORTHLESS? 5.9-0

again... b/c those worded ones are subjective depending on your grader... the way they MATCH UP to the number is also subjective.

But as some one who has been grading for about a year now? That's how I see it. *shrug*

Hope that helps!
kyabetsu is offline   Reply With Quote