View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #3621
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

I think this was an interesting auction but not indicative of the whole market by a long shot. Every one of these pieces had been previously sold, some a number of times. And with TMNT OA collecting being already a niche, I think there's only so many places these type pieces will end with. I'd say the #5 was the best bought of the bunch (Issue 8 savanti pieces just have never sold particularly well so no surprise there). The Gook cover is another interesting one. Since basically no one ever owned the book originally, there's no nostalgia pull. There's no Turtles connection in the art itself (unlike say Gook #1 with first appearance of Fugitoid). Yet surely it ended up with a super TMNT collector or dealer. As a whole, I don't think it was particularly good idea to list all of these at once if the goal was to maximize profit. I can say that the collector who had all these for sale took a complete bath on the sale...

And to piggy back on Adam, yes nearly all the Raph pages are great so I wouldn't worry about. It's funny how the day after a Raph page sells for nearly 6K at auction, Kev drops a pile of them on his site. One of those gets bought and resold in this auction and I'm sure the buyer was thinking "Well, if I can buy them for 4K on Eastman, and sell at auction for 6K..." But the auction ended around 4K so they basically got their money back.

It sure is a great time to be an OA collector. Lots of great material out there!