View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 02:31 AM   #85
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
In fact, I'm a little surprised that it took so long for Marvel to announce a sequel. Other Secret Wars series that were popular enough to be expanded on were announced within months. Given that RYV was arguably the most popular of these ones that got a second life, it seems a little odd that Marvel didn't want to capitalize on the success of it sooner. I've tried poking around online to get a sense of what the thought is for a second RYV series, and the response seems really subdued, given the hit it was originally and I wonder if they hype would've been bigger without the wait.
The hype is subdued because Marvel haven't been talking about it. Not even Conway's been talking about it. The only person promoting the damn thing besides some die-hard fans is the artist.

Quote:
I suppose. On the other hand, are we that much different from them? We badly want the version of the character we know back, at the expense of the stuff that's come after it. (Not sure where I'm going with this, but I sometimes wonder about it.)
Nobody wins with these sort of scenarios, the older fans get what they want but the fear of it being undone, as you point out, remains prevalent and nobody trusts how the company will go about it with writers who may think badly of the marriage (although Roger Stern and Slott did very well when they utilised it), and fans who like the current direction are generally screwed about and told their ten year plus investment didn't matter in much the same way our twenty plus year investment didn't matter.

I'd have included Spider-Girl in this as well because Spider-Verse told me twelve years of investment in Peter there didn't matter because he'd die a petty death, but DeFalco stepped in and hinted the real Mayday's universe wasn't affected, so yay.

For some millennial kids, post-OMD Spidey is all they know, their window into his world, and to suddenly decree he doesn't matter...that they don't matter...yeesh. Just stomp on all the toys while you're at it.

I for one loved the Clone Saga as a kid regardless of what it tried to tell me about Spider-Man, but it didn't take up ten years of my time and I kind of snuck a peek at the ending before I got to the point Peter was "revealed" as the clone and Ben the "real" one. The only downer was them losing the baby, but Spider-Girl very quickly came about and told me everything was alright.

Spider-Girl only took two and a half years to happen. Renew Your Vows took eight.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote