View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 12:11 AM   #52
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
For one thing, I was extremely happy to learn that Kyle wasn't going to be killed off just so Hal could return, because I was afraid of that as I'm sure many were.
There was 0 chance Geoff would make a martyr of Kyle. No, he was playing the long game... sideline Kyle enough years, enough fans will drop off/age out, the problem will take care of itself. Attrition.

Though Geoff did technically kill Kyle for about 5 minutes during Blackest Night.

Quote:
And it did feel, to me, like everything up until Sinestro Corps War had been building to something, had been at the very least planned and mapped out. It felt tight, and then, as you said, the ending kind of wobbled and then they just started adding new ring colors to keep things interesting. I do like Blackest Night, but I agree things post-Sinestro Corps War in general weren't as tight as they had been previously.
I'm glad that they made Blackest Night a company-wide event... and I loved seeing Nekron again. Beyond that... what a horrible execution of something literally every GL fan was super stoked about.

And then they even did Brightest Day (which was actually GOOD) and literally retconned it all away not even a year later with Flashpoint.

Quote:
I think we like a lot of the same things about Green Lantern, as to what you've described. I don't fully agree that Geoff fully tore it down, or at least altogether intended to.
Maybe not. But there is definitely a sense that "I know best" from him, and he's aligned GL to be strictly within a lens of what he thinks it should be, with stories only told the way he thinks they should be told.

Quote:
To some point, as he usually does, it seemed like he was trying to represent the past and use it to weave threads into new stories, but it definitely seems like he got too distracted by the Colors Wars to bother with the past mythology anymore, after a point.
Yep, he stopped cold turkey doing that kind of stuff about megavent #2 or #3. Then it stopped being, "What crafty thing will Geoff Johns do that carefully plays with continuity to give us something new built on something old?" (which I liked) and... sort of shifted into, "What is Geoff Johns going to completely cannibalize, either of his existing stories or of longstanding continuity today? Because he doesn't care anymore." Everything he was putting out after a while was exclusively, "Everything you've ever known about Green Lantern/the Guardians/the Maltusians... is WRONG!!!"

Even little things. Like foreshadowing a major Evil Star return, then losing interest in it and forgetting about it. Or foreshadowing the Black Entity inside Black Hand and doing zero with it. Or even completely forgetting about/losing interest in Cowgirl, Hal's girlfriend. These are all things HE wrote and created.

HACK!

Quote:
I mean, he did start off by updating or bringing back a bunch of "classic" GL characters, both hero and villain...
He did, but if you think back, it was always for a purpose, and then he would lose interest and discard them. Think, like, Arisia. He literally brought her back just to make some retcon where Hal never had sex with a 12 year-old girl (some business about "oh no, THAT? her planet orbits her sun way slower... she was 12 but that's like 200!")... and then she had absolutely 0 meaningful to do with any storyline since (barring her minor supporting cast status on the GLC book later on, not written by Geoff).

Also painfully obvious: Geoff systematically and entirely slaughtered any and all of Kyle's villains from the 90s. In short order, Major Force, Nero, Graven, all got wiped out. All the 90s Lanterns were picked off, too... violently, even. Laira getting cleaved in half sticks out in my head, and Nero being executed like a dog as well. Almost like he had an agenda...

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 06-15-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote