View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 08:48 PM   #73
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
If they are qualified, then why aren't they writing/directing the TMNT movie(s)? Could be they're not collectively applying their talents in that direction, for all you or I know.

Anyways, neither you nor I make the decision as to who is "qualified". They can have qualifications out the ass, if they're not hired by someone else to do the job then it ultimately doesn't make any difference.

And being over a certain age, I refuse to believe that everything can be boiled down to "Straight White Male Conspiracy".

Affirmative Action IS racist because it ultimately says if you only have 5 job openings, then at least 2 of them have to be filled by women or people of color because otherwise "It isn't fair", even if those people did poorly on their interview, had a spotty resume, whatever. They showed up, therefore, they "earned" a spot. By definition it creates separate sets of "rules" and standards based on gender and/or skin color. Things should never, EVER work that way.

Don't misread me, son. If women or people of color are genuinely qualified they deserve to get whatever jobs they apply for in any and every industry - individually, and based on MERIT. Not collectively, "because the numbers aren't even."

We've already seen undeniable progress in recent years with regards to which people are rising to positions of power within the entertainment industry, and we're seeing more of it every day. So it stands to reason there's no "conspiracy"; if more women and people of color aren't being tasked with writing or directing TMNT movies, it's either because A: They're not pushing for those jobs, or B: Someone decided that someone else was more qualified. It really can be that simple.
I would love to see you talk some sense into the resetera forum. Probably not worth your time or blood pressure, but it’s a hive mind and you construct your thoughts well, so it’d be cathartic for me.

Anyways, I wonder if it’s a bit of a snowball effect. If people in the past have been overlooked because they weren’t a white male (something I’m really not equipped to attest to either way), it could lead to less jobs in that field being chased by said minorities. Like I said, it’s not a call I can make, so I’m just pontificating.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote