View Single Post
Old 09-11-2016, 10:06 PM   #62
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
There is on Comicvine I believe, but it requires looking through pages worth of one thread to find it.
Remember what the name of the thread was? (Some day when I'm in the need of down time, I could see myself taking the trouble to hunt it down.)

Quote:
Slott's opinions on the marriage vary to the point you can't be sure if he is for or against it. Yeah his main book material indicates that he's against it, but he's working with a reality that's been altered by devil magic so you never know if what Peter and MJ do to each other is sincere or caused by Mephisto.
For reference, is the idea that the post-OMD Peter and MJ being under demonic influence from the comics themselves, or a reader's theory?

Quote:
He said in one interview that the marriage is like Charlie Brown kicking the football, but in the actual RYV story he shows just how much more mature Peter is in the role of a hero and a father and there are no bitter consequences or moments of doubt for the couple (except for that one bit at the end where MJ wonders if Peter would have killed Regent if Annie had been harmed, but she's not mad at him or anything). He even ends the story with "this life doesn't mean the end of yours"

Slott said in a Comicvine video interview (you can find this one easily on Youtube), Peter and MJ without the marriage in the main books is "no fun" to write for because they can't go anywhere else...but in the same interview he says MJ is a limitless character when she is married to Peter.

Also, during Spider-Verse, he actually made Peter and MJ's son Benjy (from Mayday's MC2 universe) a vital part of a prophecy and an object of the Inheritor's quest, and he went out of his way to protect the Spider-Man Newspaper Strip (prior to this year's RYV, the only other ongoing series which uses the marriage) from the events of that story and later from the incursions of the Secret Wars event by having Inheritor Karn seal it off in a pocket dimension (which it's since broken free of)
Interesting. (The newspaper comic, I suppose he would've needed to have left alone anyways, since that's not his story to tell.)

Quote:
So yeah, I think while Slott does have his own ideas about the marriage, he's slightly bi-polar on the subject. You sort of just have to accept that he's a notorious spinster who will say and do things that everyone wants to hear and read, so long as it gives him and the company a sizeable buzz.
Okay.

Quote:
Cool. Like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Chiming in with my two cents here- the issue Zar mentioned with Peter and M-J having a future with two kids (the one in which Pete was visited by the One Above All) was WELL before the beginning of the OMD arc. I have the issue somewhere, and it was, if memory serves, tied to the Other storyline. Peter was having doubts about his life as Spidey after killing Morlun (again) and the point was to reassure him that his efforts and sacrifices were well worth the past cost- or something to that effect. Basically it was a sort of "Its a Wonderful Life" type of story.
I kind of recall it being a "Back in Black" thing (never read it myself, just going off of what I've heard), which was the the last stuff before OMD. (I recall that that ending scene and the "To Have and to Hold" comic are/were among the favored arguments against OMD.

Quote:
As for Annie- yes she is indeed intended to be that second child- the one Mephisto so cruelly hinted would never be because Peter took his deal.
Then why does she seem to be born years before the OMD timeframe, probably even before Mayday would've born?

Quote:
The interesting thing with her is that you get a three-way namesake- Aunt May, Mayday(who would have been Aunt May's namesake to begin with) and Anna May Watson. May seems to be the traditional name for Parker women for some reason. And even in the aborted alternate future from the "Happy Birthday" arc in which Peter had achance to prevent his past self from ever being bitten by the fateful arachnid, their son was named Ben. So there have been several alternate timelines with future kids now- though that one ended badly, with Peter killed by a SWAT team for being a fugitive after accidentally killing a crook.
Very interesting.
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote