View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 12:11 PM   #39
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
You mean... besides the fact that the people behind the film said it will have 'nothing to do with the comics'?

Ledger's Joker was a bit different. The Nolan trilogy tried so hard to somehow make Batman work in the real world. In fact The Dark Knight was more of a crime drama rather than a comic book movie and kept everything so grounded, the only cartoonish thing was the guy running around in the batsuit. They had to adapt Joker into that kind of movie, the comic book one would have been too cartoony in Nolan's world.

But that was a sequel, with rules established from a previous movie. This is a whole new thing. They could have done something more comic accurate but they went with the usual 'no, my version is better' mindset. It almost comes off as some sort of ' random guy in clown make-up goes crazy' type movie, they didn't have faith in their characer, so hey let's slap the Joker label on it and people will eat it up.

So far, it's working.

I mean, would people have cared is this was just called 'The Clown' or 'Look Who's Laughing Now' or whatever?
I would have cared to see this film under another name, sure - great cast, creative freedom, exciting critical reception. But I care more, because I can see elements of The Joker in it. It doesn't feel like too strong of a left turn to me...at all.
Like I said, all the elements that are essential to the Joker, in my mind, are loud and clear in the trailer.
I don't need him to take an acid bath in order to become The Joker anymore than I need a bat to physically crash through Bruce Wayne's window, as the catalyst to him taking on the theme of a bat. It's just not essential to the character, for me. People will differ on whatis essential to the character - even in the comics, Bob Kane's Joker is not Frank Miller's Joker is not Grant Morrison's joker - but it doesn't make it necessarily right or wrong.

I respect your reasons for excusing how different Heath's joker was, but they don't hold water for me. Heath's joker was different and fit the world they had envisioned, yes. The results were fantastic! If the same equation happens here, that's a wonderful thing, in my eyes.

If it makes you feel better, Todd Phillip's recently name dropped The Killing Joke when discussing his influences for the film. Other reviewers have said there are elements of the comic in there as well. I really think you could be jumping to conclusions. I mean, I can understand why, if that is the case, based on the press tour. They are being loud and clear that this film is "it's own thing", but they have also referenced the comics as an influence, and more importantly, you can see it in the trailers.

That's aside from the fact that we disagree on how faithful this film should be to the comics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Guys, we've already had this discussion and you all said it was impossible to discuss this without it getting political.

Against my better judgment, I'll let this go so long as people remain civil.
Thank you.

Seems like cooler heads are prevailing so far.

Last edited by AquaParade; 09-02-2019 at 12:52 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote