Thread: Globalisation
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 06:41 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Globalisation

DWC's thread about the paradox of choice reminded me of something:

Globalisation.

We've been hearing about this for ages, now. And tbh, Globalisation isn't even that modern of a term. You can say the seeds for it have been getting planted since the Age of Discovery and the colonial era. Colonisation brought trade routes and gave birth to trade corporations. Ever heard of the Dutch East India Company, for example?

But anyway, globalisation as we understand it today is mostly about the last couple of decades or so. Especially with the internet coming along.

Globalisation has brought us good things. Allowed us to know tv shows, movies, songs, store chains, etc of different countries. And it made it easier for us to inform ourselves better about the whole world and to travel around it.

But is globalisation truly a good thing? I mean, you could argue the world is smaller than ever today, but who really profits from globalisation? Major corporations do. Also, don't you think at times that globalisation sorta makes the world more uniform and cultures more similar and less unique and foreign? I mean, when you look at a historical centre of an old city seeing its traditional commerce closing down to give way for new hotels, yet another Starbucks or McDonald's... it really makes you wonder if we aren't reaching a breaking point here. It's like many European cities, mine included, are getting less unique these days and becoming more like theme parks for tourists, pushing locals from the centre/downtown due to the increase in property taxes and rents in those areas. This is definitely a negative point of globalisation.

Another thing is, cultures are mixing more and more. Nothing wrong with cultural exchange, since that has happened as long as mankind existed, basically. But modern technology has made it a lot easier to spread that sort of exchange and even overwhelm people with it. Eventually won't it get to a point where every culture and civilisation feels the same or close enough and the excitement of travelling and discovering something new starts to fade? Allow me to give an example: Back in 2008 or so, it was very very hard for me to meet an American or an Australian who liked football(or soccer wtv). From 2011 on that amount has increased a lot. Just like I see more and more Europeans talking about the NBA and perhaps other leagues and sports, I dunno.

Funny thing is, humans are still tribal at heart, and this rise in nationalistic/populist rhetoric in many parts of the West lately doesn't seem like a coincidence. I fear mankind still isn't ready to unite as one and to get rid of its cultural and national identities. In Europe it's obvious many Europeans have been disappointed with the EU and don't really like the idea of European federalism.

What about you? What do you like and dislike about globalisation? What future do you see? What would you like to change about it if you could? DO you believe corporations and others who rave about globalisation truly care about the needs of mankind?

Thoughts?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote