View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 10:05 AM   #54
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
You're right in that the powers eventually turned them all into monsters. MJ was able to resist it longer because of her sexual relationship with Peter over the years (no, I'm not joking, that was the explanation).
Okay...

Quote:
The original RYV series was entirely it's own thing actually, not connected to 616 at all. Captain America has a different outfit with the A on the chest and star on the mask), Eddie Brock was still Venom (with the design used for Mac Gargan's stint with the symbiote), and Peter had never been an Avenger in that time frame, and was only just being tempted to join them when both Venom and Regent attacked in the inaugural issue, which led to Regent killing the heroes and Peter killing Venom.
On the other hand, we saw some very specific references to 616 stories in the original RYV miniseries (not counting the basic origin story):

- When MJ gives Peter the spare black costume in the second issue, they both recall that she had asked him to stop using it, which happened in 1988's ASM #300.

- When MJ is reflecting on Peter's Spider-Man career, the flashbacks show some very specific 616 stories, like the original "Night Gwen Stacy" died and the rescue of astronaut Jameson's shuttle.

- Peter's flashbacks in Regents tank of first meeting MJ and their first kiss depict the 616 versions.

Because of that, I took it to be that the RYV timeline more or less diverged from 616 somewhere between Peter and MJ's marriage and the '90s Clone Saga (which is where the Mayday birth would've happened), specifically based on the implication that Peter and MJ hadn't been married that long before the first RYV issue.

If so, this would set the timeframe of the first issue be long before Garagan got Venom or Spider-Man was up for Avengers membership. Cap's new costume could be part of a butterfly effect and I thought that Venom could change his patterns. (Bear in mind, I got most of this info about the 616 comics online, so I'll be willing to correct myself if I drew inaccurate conclusions from it.)

Quote:
I was merely speculating about the part with MJ having powers and recalling the one story where, canonically, that had happened, coupled with the confirmation we got in the letters pages of ASM that this series takes place in a world where "Mephisto never interfered".
Yeah, I understand it's all speculation, I'm just chiming in. Based on the letter, do you think that means that the RYV series won't be a continuation of the original miniseries? (Although, for what it's worth, wasn't the original explanation that the original RYV series replaced "Brand New Day" as the first post-OMD story -- since the point was a world where the Parkers' marriage was allowed to remain intact. That, of course, didn't pan pan out when the actual comic seemed to be set years before that timeframe. So, I'm not sure how accurate official statements are!)

Quote:
It's very confusing at the moment. Adding confusion was this bizarre revelation in ASM earlier this year Regent, Peter and MJ from 616 all vaguely remember the events of RYV despite the fact they had nothing to do with what those alternate versions were up to (616 MJ was killed in the incursion, and 616 Peter had an altogether different mission in Secret Wars)
Is it possible that Slott was just including that as an Easter egg (either to the RYV story he wrote, the upcoming series, or both)? Slott seems to love Spider-Man Easter eggs and is not exactly known for logical storytelling in ASM, esp. in regards to how his series fits with earlier material.

Quote:
It may be as simple as that, since to have two different series called RYV with different continuities would be quite a chore to process.
In all honest, I don't think it would, given that there are a lot of properties today that are doing that, like Star Trek, but I am a sci-fi fan so I may be more used to it.

Quote:
I'm just trying to make some sense of it all, though Marvel have gotten pretty lax with continuity over the years.
Maybe it'll be a Stargate-like thing: The original miniseries happened in broad strokes, but some parts may not be accurate.
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote