View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 10:13 PM   #10259
Leo656
The Franchise

"Journalists". Not one person working in present-day media, and especially not video game media, is an actual Journalist. They're all just paid shills, it's only a question of who they're shilling for.

But yeah, I hear you. That's why I think I've had just as much fun with the supposedly "less good" Spider-Man games. I liked Spider-Man 2 a lot, sure... and then there was 3... and so on... I thought Web of Shadows was alright... but again, huge chunks of these games were essentially the same. And that's fine, it's just... The Same.

Shattered Dimensions blew me away when I played it because it was different. No, it wasn't a giant open-world game with a hundred Human Torch races and a million balloons to catch and Random Crime Missions to stop, but... I didn't even realize that I wanted to play a Totally Different Spider-Man Game until I played it, and then I was hooked on it for weeks. I'd been sleepwalking through "formulaic" Spider-Man games for so long - having fun the whole while, mind you - that even just something that WASN'T exactly the same was like a breath of fresh air. It was just plain fun; dare I say, just as much fun from a completely different direction as the open-world games are. It wasn't as ambitious, no, but I had a ton of fun with it.

Alas, whenever I try and turn anyone onto it, they reply, "I only want to play an Open-World Spider-Man Game, nothing else." I remind them that they've most likely expressed burn-out at the formula more than once, at which point they insist that Spider-Man 2 was the end-all, be-all, impossible to top, never to be matched, and that the games since then "suck" simply because they're not that game... and then, I walk away, because at this point I know that I'm not engaged in conversation with a serious and rational person.

Anyway. I'm sure the PS4 one is good, but like most things, right from the jump I knew it couldn't possibly be the "world-beater" everyone insisted. We've more or less played that game already a dozen times; the script, graphics and voice acting can all be different/better from one game to the next, but there's only so many ways you can do an open-world super-hero game, after all.

I do look forward to finally playing it, though.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote