View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #15
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

A bad book or two can turn off someone from further readings. And even if you're interested in becoming an avid reader, it's hard to know where to start, since going to a bookstore without having the faint idea what you're looking for can be quite overwhelming.

Try to stick to genres and themes you like. Also, if you like a certain author, try to find authors similar to that one.
Someone told me yesterday that he doesn't read much because he finds most books to be boring, although he enjoys fantasy books such as the Harry Potter series. I told him that perhaps he just hasn't read the right books. It's like playing video games and watching movies. There will be those that you like, and those you don't.

You mentioned something about reading non-picture books. I think the first children's book I've read that lacks pictures was Sixth Grade Secrets. It's from the author of Sideways Stories from Wayside School, and that's Louis Sachar. I read Sixth Grade Secrets for pleasure when I was in the fourth grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Oh my gosh, Storm Eagle - I love The Outsiders.

I think there's some sort of rule that schools generally have to assign quite boring books - I know I never got anything that I particularly enjoyed other than George Orwell's Animal Farm. Other than that, it was just the rote sort of stuff - To Kill A Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, that kind of thing. I actually got assigned To Kill A Mockingbird twice - once at two of the different high-schools I went to; I asked the teacher to give me something different the second time just so I didn't have to write another assignment on it.

I don't care how old I get; I still enjoy reading children's books like Black Beauty and Anne of Green Gables. It's like revisiting an old friend.

Duckie, have you ever read any of the Sevenwaters novels by Juliet Marillier?
Have you ever read That Was Then, This is Now? That's the sequel to The Outsiders. It's not as good, but you should still try it out.

Someone also told me yesterday that children's books are the best, although she's actually the second person to ever tell me that.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote